The 400 year old Rogerthorpe Manor, received the first blue plaque inscribed with Pontefract Civic Society’s newly designed logo, based on Pontefract Town Hall. This is the start of a series of new plaques across Pontefract & District to commemorate significant buildings, historical figures, authors and business people, and it is the Society’s intention not to restrict these to the town’s four Conservation Area.
The plaque is inscribed as follows:
Built in 1610 by Samuel Saltonstal, the nephew of Sir Richard Saltonstal, who in 1597 was the Lord Mayor of London. A private home until 1955 when it became an exclusive country club. Six owners later following some redevelopment, it was bought as a hotel by local farmers, the Metcalfe family.